Monday 31 December 2012

progress: low VOC paint for our wood paneled wall

I'm not being sarcastic when I say this:

New paint on our unfortunately paneled wood wall was the Greatest. Christmas. Present. Ever.

Sending a huge thanks to everyone that commented on my last post and via facebook with colour ideas. It was great to hear that my colour inkling toward dark blue was similar to what most of you suggested.

Just to rejig your memory, here's what the wall looked like before I got to painting:


And here's what it looks like now:




The colour I chose was Taubman's "Blue Ink", and thanks to some changes in the paint industry, I was able to get some low VOC Dulux paint! I considered purchasing from a smaller "eco" brand, but

  1. I actually like supporting big businesses when they make changes to do the right thing (as a bit of a thank you, kind of like buying Cadbury's chocolate to as a "thanks" for switching to Fairtrade)
  2. I'm too impatient to wait out the delivery time from smaller company's who aren't stocked locally
I'd like to point out that I'm not against supporting small businesses, in fact, it is generally my preference. However, when a large company listens to the collective voice of many, and takes responsibility for their product, I like to think that my purchase encourages that company to continue to demonstrate good practices and use their brand to bring those practices into the mainstream market.

Anyhoo, I'm loving the new colour, but as with any good home DIY, it's bringing out all the other unstarted unfinished jobs that need to be done!

I'm still not keen on the crisp white bookshelves and am about 95% certain I'm going to paint them in the same colour as the wall to help them settle in. We'll eventually replace the wood boxes next to the fire, and put them in the shed for storing larger amounts of wood. I'm also going to need to do something about those dreaded tiles behind and along the side of the fire....

Meanwhile, I'm plotting ways to use "Blue Ink" in other places throughout the house... The kitchen cabinets? The front door? The office? My Blue Ink head is spinning!

What do you think of the new look? Have you been up to any home improvements over the festive season?

4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome!!!
    I think the book shelves look fine though, I think they were the same colour it would look strange... maybe paint in a similar colour to your other walls?
    Yeah for painting the study door blue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I think it's because I had intended to find a way to make the wall (and books, more importantly) sink back from the room, to become less of a feature as a background, but I do have that 5% of me that is really worried it won't work! Good to hear!

      Delete
  2. Looks great! Im with Neenish Arts, I think to bookshelves would look a little funny if painted the same colour. The wall colour is ok but I think it would look better if it was a cooler shade, maybe something a little more stony. Dulux have a colour called Limed White which would look nice (we're thinking about painting too). The problem is once you get stated you will probably want to paint the whole house! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh just looked that colour up. NICE. You should def think about that for your place! Nice, cool neutral :) Funny how the feedback here (and by family and friends) is to NOT paint the bookshelves... and I was so sure before! (This is why feedback BEFORE a DIY is so very important!)

      Delete

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...