Tuesday 8 March 2011

Ode to the women who made me

Today is International Women's Day. It is a day to remember the women that have gone before us and have fought for our rights. It is a day to celebrate our achievements as women and a day to fight for those who continue to lack rights because of their gender. 

I have been truly blessed throughout my life to be surrounded by strong and passionate women and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank them for what they have given me.

Nanna Carla, you taught me that compassion is practical. You taught me the importance of my education and not to take my opportunities for granted. You demonstrated strength to myself and my mother and never gave up on those you loved. I miss our scrabble games.

Nanna Benji, you taught me that love doesn't ask back. You are the first person to step in and do the job and you do it without complaints. You have shown me that actions speak louder than words.

Nanna Bus, I miss you. you taught me about faith. Faith in God, faith in people and faith in self. You demonstrated through your life that a path lived is a path with others. You taught me to speak my mind and stand on my own feet.

Mum, you taught me that to be strong you also had to be vulnerable. You showed me that life is not always black and white and that the key to unlocking this is compassion. You and Dad showed me that a woman can be the provider in the home and that changed roles did not mean a loss of your femininity or Dad's masculinity.

I continue to be built up by the courageous women who I call my friends. These are women who are taking their position seriously. They are women who are fighting for others rights, women who are serving their community and women who are determining their own paths. They are women who love, who give, who learn.

I am the luckiest girl in the world.

Kate xxx

2 comments:

  1. and I am the luckiest Mum in the world to have a wonderful woman as my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you wrote a blog on this day.
    It's so lovely

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...