Monday 30 July 2012

green bins, three bins

I have exciting news. Not exciting to the regular 27 year old woman, but exciting to me. We now have not one, not two, but three green waste bins. That's right, I'm excited about bins. Again

We've been trying to figure out the most economical way to remove of all the green waste from our garden. As we live in a very green suburb (lots of trees and garden space) we're always finding that we have too much green waste for our council's monthly green bin schedule. After exploring options (skips, trailer loads to the closest waste centre etc) we found out that our Council actually provides up to two extra green bins for an annual cost of $21 each which can be emptied monthly with the regular green waste pick up. 

To cut a long story short, $42 and a phone call later, we are now the proud owners of three green bins. No more will I guiltily chuck green waste in my rubbish bin "just to get rid of it". 

I'm stoked with this service from the council and am surprised they don't promote it more. It's affordable, time-friendly and doesn't add any further "rubbish miles". 

I am a little fearful of how our neighbours will react when they see our three bins lined up on our next green waste pick up, but my hope is that it will create discussion and encourage them to think differently about their waste. 

How do you deal with green waste? Any ideas on how to make the most of it?

1 comment:

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...