Monday 16 May 2011

IDAHO gay rights rally in little adelaide

The International Day Against Homophobia & Transphobia is celebrated on the 17th of May every year, all around the world. This year in little adelaide, an IDAHO rally was gatecrashed by a group of Christians condemning them for their sexuality. I for one am ashamed that such beliefs still held in my home country and expressed so offensively. I also find it unfortunate that a minority religious group has not only managed to misrepresent the Christian community, but gatecrash the publicity that should have been used to promote equality.

I believe in equality.

I believe that every person has the capacity and the right to love who and how they choose.

I believe that change is needed.




Kate xxx

5 comments:

  1. That just makes me so sad & furious. I don't know how they call themselves Christians, Jesus would never behave like that! It makes me angry that all Christians will be tarnished by their small-mindedness!
    phew - don't mind my rant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. It just goes to show how a small group can tarnish the reputation of a large community. It also shows how the media has failed religions in lumping all Christians, all Muslims, all Buddhists in the same barrel. booooooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it ironic and disappointing to see that some of those protest signs began with "God Hates".
    Unfortunately scenes like this do give religion as a whole a bad name. No wonder some people find it hard to believe in a God of any sort. It's all just so contradictory.

    At the end of the day it's easier just to do you, be whoever and whatever you are without subscribing to any one belief.

    I know I run the risk of sounding like a hippy but...Choose Love! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this thoughtful piece and the comments that follow. I'm the dreadful minister who conducted the mock wedding and was appalled at what this small group of arrogant, self-righteous preachers was doing "in God's name." I'm glad others saw it the same way. Peace to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Sue. It is definitely something for us all to consider as to how we will continue to respond to such people. Thank YOU for your courage to stand up for what you belive in and for representing an alternative voice. xxx

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...