Tuesday 26 April 2011

The Happiness Files: Reading & Elastic Pants

Today's Happiness File could really be shared across a couple of separate posts, but due to the shame I'd feel if I spent an entire post talking about the virtues of elastic waisted pants, I'm going to settle both here. 



As said in my last post, I had grand plans for the weekend, which included a mini getaway and a friends wedding. Well, I got my little break, with a beautiful ocean view, but came down late in the week with an ear infection (I think my body is begging me to take better care of myself, so might have to think about a series about treating oneself ethically.... but I'm not ready to go without wine) and so missed the wedding! I thought I could get away with both, but was just too sick to make it. Woe is little adelaide kate. 

Well. Now I'm done with the whining I'll get back to my file. Because of said ear infection, I have spent the weekend reading on the couch, wearing my favourite fleece trackpants (which are two sizes too big for me and double as flares. they are amazing). Is there anything better for a sick little bear than a good book and body-hiding fleece? 

I finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows. Swoon. Gasp. Laugh. Sigh. It was beautiful. It's written in the form of letters, and it's the first book in a long time where I have "believed" the different characters voices. (The last time I read a book from different character's perspectives, I gave up on the third chapter because the older woman perspective didn't sound old enough... shame)

I also started and finished A Life Stripped Bare: My Year Trying to Live Ethically by Leo Hickman, although I admit I skimmed through a couple of sections. For anyone just entering the world of ethical living, this book is a good place to start, as it provides information and humour, mixed in with Leo and his family's own experiences to present a compassionate and fair view of ethical living. 

I've now started reading War: The Lethal Custom by Gwynne Dyer. As someone who has never really studied world history, I have a limited understanding of war and its role in history and impact on our present climate. Gwynne provides an almost feminine voice, his discussions are fair and thought provoking, and best of all, it's been quite an easy read so far (all good things for the lazy learner). 

There you have it. A whole lot of reading, a whole lot of fleece, and I'm feeling half better.

I'll leave it here so I can get back to it!

What have you been up to this Easter? Any books you would recommend for myself and my fleecy pants?

Kate xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...