Wednesday 1 September 2010

Let’s Dance: The Chilli Four-Step

I've been vego for about four years (ok, I admit it… I cheat and eat fish). As my diet has changed, so have my taste-buds. Since quitting meat I've become more open to different foods I previously avoided. For example, beans. We never ate them as kids, probably because my dear mum couldn't (and still can’t) stand them. It’s the same reason I can’t overdo peas or wear lavender, or black and navy together.

But back to beans.

Here’s a kick-arse beans recipe that carnivores will love: Vegetarian Chilli. Beans. Tomato. Chilli. Goodness. Have fun!

STEP 1:
1brown onion
2 garlic clove
1tsp powdered chilli
1tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp paprika
1-inch knob of ginger
1tbs oil

Fry all ingredients in large saucepan until onion is soft and translucent.

STEP 2:
½ cup red wine

Add wine to mixture and boil down until very thick

STEP 3:
2 cups of weak vegetable stock
½ cup tomato paste
1 can of tomatoes
1 can of lentils
1 can of kidney beans

Rinse lentils and kidney beans and add to mixture with vegetable stock, tomato paste & tomatoes. Put the lid on the saucepan and turn burner to “low, low, low” (the lowest option on the smallest burner). Cook for 1-3 hours (the longer the leave it the richer it will be), stirring occasionally. Add water as required.

STEP 4: (optional)
½ cup TVP
½ cup cheddar cheese

Stir in the TVP and serve with corn chips, corn bread, polenta... Reheat the leftovers the next morning and slop it on toast. It’s delicious.

YUM!

oh steamy-steam



Hear when we say, this is how we party...


5 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks for the recipe. I've been eating mostly vegetarian for the past 2 months. It's amazing just how much your taste buds change. It's like you're pallet has been cleansed.

    I might try this recipe in my slow cooker. But first, in your recipe, you mention TVP. What's that?

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. TVP is short "textured vegetable protein". It is basically dehydrated vegetable protein (I'm guessing mostly from soy & other beans) and is a very cheap way to stick a bit of protein in a veggie casserole, stew, pasta sauce etc. It's also very easy to use- just stir it into your dish right before serving. It soaks up the sauce within a couple of minutes and is ready to serve! I always buy it from health-food shops, so not sure if it sells at the supermarket.

    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say that it looks like dehydrated chicken mince! When it soaks in the sauce, you are tricked into thinking you are eating the real thing- I make bolognaise with it regularly.

    Check it out on Wiki for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Not beans! but it does look tasty!!!! glad I have instilled some of my little asperger traits onto you ... yucky lavender and black and navy never to be seen together...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have nightmares about lavender so you must have done something right! xx

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...