Saturday 7 June 2014

kate goes to europe: brussels

Kym and I recently travelled to Europe. After we visited Amsterdam and The Hague, we stopped off for a couple of nights in Brussels, which is what I'm sharing about today.

We went to Brussels as it's a European Union hot spot, and as established in my previous post, we're a household of political nerds.

We only had one full day in Brussels, because we went specifically to check out the EU. We spent the morning walking through the Parliamentarium. From one nerd to another (I assume you are one if you're still reading this post) I can totally vouch for this place. It was super interactive and gave us a much better idea of the history behind the EU and the role it plays in the region.

EU Parliament wasn't sitting when we were there, but we did wonder into the foyer and 'ooh' and 'aah' at the fancy carpet. What can I say? It's just how we roll.


We spent the afternoon wandering around the city, eating and napping. Lazy, right? You'll be happy to know we spent a whole chunk of time hunting for the very best waffles in Brussels. Here's my conclusion: All the waffles are doughy gold. We bought one to share, and that wasn't enough, so bought another one. It still wasn't enough. The next morning we had one each for breakfast. Even then, I kinda wish I'd bought a back-up for the train ride to our next stop, Munich.


Let's just say that people in Brussels seem to have no spacial or situational awareness. People were constantly cutting us off when we were trying to cross the street, cut in lines at shops, talked loudly in the quietest of rooms... And I really hate to say this, but the women in Brussels kinda gave me the shits. In addition to all the behaviour I just mentioned, they also walked insanely slow, with this dainty air, as if to prove their femininity. It just made them look slow in the head as well as the feet. Something about Brussels women comes across as ditzy and needy. I really think they could change this if they just wore sneakers instead of heels.

Ok, rant is over, I promise.


My Brussels recommendations:
  • EU Parliamentarium
  • Waffles
  • Waffles
  • Waffles
  • Hot chocolate (get it from one of the chocolatiers so you know it's made with real chocolate goodness)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...