Monday 18 February 2013

family heirloom settles in for the long haul

Last year Kym inherited a bureau originally owned by his great-grandfather. It's been waiting in the garage for a new home, and at the same time collecting quite a bit of dust! 


As part of our garage makeover, we decided it was time to bite the bullet and take the bureau inside. I took the lead from Sherry on Young House Love by cleaning the inside with a rag and white vinegar, as well as giving the outside a rub down with a series of magic erasers. I used about five magic erasers all up, because there was so much gunk on the poor bureau, and many stains to clean off, that the poor dears wore out very quickly.

I can definitely vouch for Sherry's method, because with a bit of hard labour on my part I was able to 'magically erase' most of the marks and stains on the bureau (even a large ink spill). It's still looking worn, and will need to be given more attention to get back to top shape (including replacing a couple of panels of glass and a new layer of stain/wax), but it's much better than what it was. After I was satisfied with my cleaning efforts, Kym and his dad moved the bureau into the lounge room.


To get some perspective, it's on the same wall as the just-painted dining cabinet in our L-shaped living area (it's one of the first things you see when walking through the front door- great!).


Tell me: Do you have any family heirlooms, and do they hold a special place in your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...