Tuesday 7 June 2011

Self Care & Diet

Ugh. I can feel my own resistance writing this post. I’m sensing the gasps and oh-no she-didn't stares. Before you write me off, hear me out.

So far in the Self Care Series I've covered looking after ourselves in our relationships and our environments. Today I’m talking about diet.

BUT

Before I go any further, I want you to know that I am by no means promoting weight loss or a life of chocolate celibacy. I love you the way you are. What I am talking about is changing your thinking to consuming the right foods for your body so that you feel happy, healthy and confident.

In case you’re still feeling judged, here are a few things you should know:
  • I always choose sweet over savoury, with exception to cheese, in which case I have both
  • I am a pescatarian (the only meat I eat is fish) because after three years of eating a vegetarian diet, I got lazy
  • I grew up as “the fat kid” and spent the majority of my teenage years on fad diets
  • I now believe fad diets to be giant loads of bullshit
  • My second drawer at work is filled with snacks
  • I am known at work as “the girl who is always eating”, however I do not consider myself a grazer because I still eat three decent meals a day
  • I buy only 70% dark chocolate because if I buy milk chocolate I eat the entire block in one sitting [yes, every single time]
  • According the internet, I am within my healthy weight range
  • One week out of every month I believe I am fat
  • Three weeks out of every month I believe I am hot as

anyone else thinking about eating right now?

If you’re like me, you grew up with the word ‘diet’ meaning “STOP EATING ANYTHING FUN AND PUNISH YOURSELF IF YOU DO”. After making myself ill on a high protein diet when I was just fifteen, I decided I would never diet again. Then, at twenty two, feeling unfit and unhappy, I tried Weight Watchers. Without preaching the WW bible, using their plan reprogrammed my brain from

trying to lose weight for the sake of losing weight

to

creating a lifestyle where I feel energised, think more clearly, have less mood swings and can get on with living the life I want

Somewhere along the way, I had a light bulb moment where I finally understood that it mattered more to get the right foods into me than to keep the wrong ones out. I realised
  • I will never fit into size 8 jeans and I don’t want to.
  • I don’t have to or desire to be fit enough to run for an hour.
  • I don’t actually want to be a marathon runner or the awkward person at the party no one can ever cater for.
  • Boys don't care how much you weigh.

Since then, my diet has been structured by asking my body what would make it feel good. Interestingly enough, I’ve found that the food that makes me feel my best is generally fresh produce in the form of salad or stir fry. I think if you really listen to your body and hear past the salt and sugar cravings you'll find the same. Our bodies know what we need. All we are required to do is stop, think and respond.

Love your body, not in an airy-fairy-unshaved-armpits-hippie kind of way. Love your body by treating it well. You don’t have to like your body, but love it. That means ask it what it wants and give it just that. If your body wants chocolate, give it a little treat. If your body wants spinach, eat it up! If your body wants to go for a walk, take it outside. If your body wants a rest, read a book. If your body isn't giving you enough energy in the day, ask it why and give a helping hand. I truly believe if you stop and ask the questions, you'll start making choices that give your strength and energy, instead of a quick fix and you'll find you'll feel a whole lot healthier. 

Treat your body like the love of your life and it will be good to you.

So, there you have it. That is all I have to say on the topic. That wasn’t so hard, was it?

Next week, time management.

Kate xxx

4 comments:

  1. What does it mean if I keep my snacks in the top drawer at work? :P

    Tonight, I did exactly what you're talking about. Mum was about to make a pot of potato mash to go with our chicken...yay starch!?!

    I pounced quickly to stop her and instead offered to cook, making my way to the rarely ventured "Vegetable Crisper" in our fridge. To my surprise I found fresh produce, so I cut it up, stir-fried it and then covered it with cheese and put it in the oven for good measure :)It was beautiful! Just what the body ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I think it means you're better at sharing your spoils than I am. Maybe it shows that I never had to share a room as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your humorous honesty Kate! So true isn't it. I feel tired often, get enough sleep, well hello my body needs some iron why do I deprive you so? Yes I'm about 12kg more than when I met Mick and he can't even tell he reckons...
    Well I'm looking forward to time management lol! Now that should be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement Janeen. Get that iron into you!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...